This program is designed for men and women 55 years of age and older. It follows the Canadian Physical Activity Guidelines for Older Adults. The exercise program consists of the following components:
- Cardiovascular exercise using treadmills, stationary bicycles, or elliptical trainers
- Strength training using a variety of machines, free weights, resistance bands, and body weight
- Balance training by challenging stability with a variety of activities
- Flexibility training with stretches for the whole body
Within the older adult population there is a great deal of variety in terms of experience, health conditions, fitness levels, and comfort at the gym. That’s alright – we are here to help you get the most out of your program and to help you meet your goals.
We want to challenge the stereotype of aging. Getting older does not mean being sick or frail or dependent on others. This program can improve strength, endurance, balance, and quality of life. But it can also increase confidence, enhance self-esteem, and help build friendships with others.
Goals of the Program
- Maintain and improve cardiovascular endurance and muscular strength
- Help to maintain independence
- Improve balance and mobility
- Provide a comfortable environment to exercise
- Encourage social interaction
- Increase confidence, self-esteem and overall quality of life
- Make exercise fun!
The program can be adapted to meet individual needs – whether for health or medical conditions, personal goals, likes and dislikes, our team can help optimize your exercise program.
The SeniorFit program is supervised by Kinesiology students who are specially trained. They are there to teach and supervise use of equipment, perform exercises, ensure safety, modify programs, and answer any questions. And they are lot of fun too.